Jeff Lincicome's Reflections

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's cold back there but warm right here


This week I am in Orlando for the Fellowship of Presbyterians Conference http://www.fellowship-pres.org/, where over 2000 Presbyterians on the more Evangelical side of the faith are gathered to discuss the future of our church. I am here because I feel torn actually; torn between the desire for me and my church to be on the "right" side theologically, but also recognizing that being reconciled with my brothers and sisters who disagree with me on this sexuality/ordination issue is equally as important. Some say we should stand for the truth, others say that if we are going to error, we should error on the side of grace. Both are true; so what do we do?

Today is the start of the conference (and it is a good thing I left yesterday morning--I'm confident there is NO WAY I would be leaving Seattle today with the snow that is dumping there), a gathering of under 45 year olds in our denomination. I will not have been around this many of my peers since seminary, not to mention familiar faces. The common purpose is exciting and I'm hoping to gain some encouragement, insight, and light some new (and old) friendships.

I'm also excited to hear some solutions. SPC is a church divided in some ways over this issue, and frankly, so am I. As I heard someone say, "Am I going to be right or am I going to be reconciled?" Can't we do both? I'm hopeful to hear what other people are struggling with and find some answers.

I miss my family. The demands of ministry are such that I have been away a lot these days. I'm praying for them.

Thankful to be here!
Jeff

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home